The general driving rules of Hong Kong follow the British system, with right-hand drive cars driven on the left-hand side of the road. If you are a resident of Hong Kong, it is an offence to drive on a foreign licence. Holders of licences from the US, EU, Australia, New Zealand and Japan can apply for a Hong Kong driving license without taking either a road or theory test. It is best to apply for a Hong Kong driving license as soon as you receive your Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID) if you intend to drive.


For more information contact:


Hong Kong Government

Transport Department

Transport Department Licensing Information

Tel: +852 2804 2600 (24 hour enquiry hotline)